Think of your career like a garden. You’ll want to plant it in a fertile area with plenty of room to grow and access to the things it needs to thrive: sunshine and water; opportunities and professional development. You’ll need to spend some time on it, deciding what to cultivate, weeding out the unnecessary and giving it the care and attention it needs. You’ll need to fill your toolshed. Finally, consulting the experts is never a bad idea.
It sounded a bit outlandish before, right? Comparing your career to a backyard garden? But when you think about it, the fruitful, successful ones are the product of a great deal of love, sweat, time and attention. Without effort, they wither away.
This year we’ve decided to give New Pros Week a theme of its own – “Careers in Bloom: Creating a plan for career success.”
Join us August 6 through 12, 2017 as we focus on all the tools and tips you need to continue to grow your career well past your New Pro years and celebrate the things that set us apart. We’ll talk about what tools you need in your PR toolbox, discuss the importance of mentorship to build lasting, mutually beneficial relationships, and connect members from across the country as we explore the ins and outs of being a New Pro.
New Pros Week 2017’s schedule includes:
- “Planting the seed for career-long growth” TwiChat chat – Monday, August 7 at 8 p.m.
- “Fill Your Garden: Mentorship & making lasting connections” webinar – Wednesday, August 9 from 3 p.m. to 4 p.m.
- “Build Your Bouquet: Follow fellow New Pros” Follow Friday on Twitter – Friday, August 11
- Social conversation around our favorite things about being a New Pro and advice from experienced pros on what they wish they knew as New Pros
- Blog posts on topics such as:
- “Grow where you’re planted: How to build a successful career in a new place”
- “What’s in your toolshed: Essential tools and techniques for New Pros”
- …and more!
Links to these programs and events will be shared across our social media channels very soon so keep an eye out and mark your calendars!
In addition to national events, New Pros Week is a great time for Chapters and Districts to celebrate their own New Pros by hosting happy hours or networking events, showcase members in blog and social media content and just generally engaging with their youngest members to highlight the great things we add to the PR field and to help us further grow and advance the profession.
Don’t forget to follow along on our social media channels and join in the conversation on Twitter using #NPPRSA and #NewProsWeek.
If you have any questions or want to get involved, please reach out to us!
Robyn & Veronica
@robyn_rl | @veronica_min
firstname.lastname@example.org | email@example.com
PRSA’s New Professionals Section 2017 programming chairs