For a three-year-old toddler, Twitter sure has a lot of toys! Seriously, there are thousands of applications available that you can use to expand your twitter-bilities.
Here are 15 that I think are highly useful for PR professionals.
Get Your PR Message Out
1. Twitterfeed automatically tweets your blog titles, streamlining your online campaigns.
2. Twiddeo allows you to upload video from your phone or computer and posts a short url to your twitter account.
Manage the Timing of Your PR Message
3. Tweetlater is a handy tool, especially for the PR professional. If you want to post reminders of an upcoming event, schedule them through Tweetlater.
4. Vacatweet can keep you active on the Twitter-sphere by responding to your messages while you’re on vacation.
Monitor Your PR Campaigns
5. Tweetburner not only generates shortened urls, the application will allow your to post the url to your Twitter account and track clicks and re-tweets of your url.
6. StrawPoll lets you put a quick poll on your Twitter page. A great tool if you’re looking for simple feedback.
7. Tweetnews can track news-related tweets on Twitter.
Show Off your Publications or other Promotional Documents
8. FileSocial allows you to upload documents to their site and post a link to those documents on Twitter.
9. TwitDoc is similar to FileSocial, with the added bonus of drag-and-drop functionality. But this function is only available for Adobe AIR users!
Meet People, Follow, and Be Followed
10. Twitdir is one of the many Twitter directories that allows you to search for Twitterers by location, email, and alias.
11. Twitterlocal allows you to find people actively tweeting in an geographic area that you define.
12. Twollo compares your tweets to other users to try and suggest people you might want to be friends with.
Manage Multiple Accounts
13. Splitweet compiles multiple Twitter accounts, allowing you to easily post to any of your accounts. You can also track keywords.
14. TweetDeck also compiles multiple Twitter accounts, and although I know it is vastly more popular than Splitweet, I’m just not as into it!
I know I promised 15, so I’ll ask you: What do you think is another highly useful twitter application for public relations professionals?
JANET A. KRENN is Communication Co-Chair of the New Professionals Section of PRSA. If you’re a member of the New Professionals Section, and you’d like to contribute to the New Pros’ blog, email her at janetqs(at)gmail dot com
- social media case study… Using Facebook to Execute the Quick PR Campaign by Janet Krenn
- Event PR: the Original Mobile Marketing by Andrea Nourse
- Five Lessons for Integrating Social Media in PR
- social media… Dear Facebook, Please Grant Me (and other Page admins) These 5 Functions by Janet Krenn
- Summer Book Club–June: UnMarketing Discussion